Vila Real de Santo AntónioAlgarve Discovery
The pale gold of extensive sands.
The turquoise of the sea.
The green of the pine forests. Strokes of color that seduce the eyes and express the beauties of Vila Real de Santo António and its municipality.
The city would be born in the place where there used to be a fishing village called Santo António da Arenilha.
Throughout its history, the Kingdom of Portugal and the Kingdom of the Algarve have always had political problems with neighboring Spain, and for this reason there has always been a special care for the border regions. The mouth of the Guadiana River divides the extreme south-east of Portugal from the extreme south-west of Spain, and for many years the only Portuguese city that protected national territory in that area was Castro Marim.
To that extent, and because this period was an era of great changes in the country, on December 30, 1773, a Royal Charter was signed that gave account of the creation of a city in the extreme Algarve – Vila Real de Santo António was thus born. Completed by the cosmopolitan life of a major tourist center. The tranquility of beaches where you can find solitude. The fauna and flora of a Park and a Nature Reserve.